Sleep is a vital component of our overall well-being. It enables our bodies and minds to rejuvenate and repair. However, for many women, the onset of menopause can disrupt this essential aspect of health, leading to insomnia and a cascade of related challenges. There is an intricate relationship between insomnia and menopause. Float Therapy can be a key player in this relationship alleviating insomnia symptoms during menopause by providing holistic and natural support for restful sleep patterns
Insomnia and Menopause: Understanding the Connection
Menopause is a transitional phase in a woman’s life, marking the end of her reproductive years. It is characterized by various physical and hormonal changes, including a decline in estrogen levels. These hormonal fluctuations can often lead to a range of symptoms, such as hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, and increased anxiety, all of which can contribute to insomnia.
Insomnia, a common sleep disorder affecting millions of individuals worldwide, can be particularly challenging during menopause. The hormonal imbalances can disrupt the body’s natural sleep-wake cycle. Difficulties falling asleep, frequent nighttime awakenings, and overall poor sleep quality are common complaints. The combination of physical discomfort and psychological distress can create a vicious cycle, exacerbating insomnia symptoms.
Float Therapy: A natural sleep solution
Float therapy offers a unique and potentially effective sleep solution for women experiencing insomnia during menopause. By providing a tranquil and weightless environment, float therapy can promote deep relaxation and stress relief and help to stop the cycle of insomnia. The sensory deprivation environment helps to calm the mind, reducing intrusive thoughts and enhancing the body’s natural sleep response. Here are 4 ways that floating helps alleviate the symptoms of menopause:
- Stress Reduction: The deep relaxation experienced during float therapy triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good hormones. Endorphins naturally reduce stress and anxiety levels. This can help women manage the psychological burdens associated with menopause like stress, anxiety, which in turn alleviate the symptoms of insomnia. Carving out time for self care, taking a break from the stressors of life and 90 minutes of deep relaxation also lead to a reduction of stress and anxiety.
- Pain Relief: Float therapy’s buoyancy reduces the pressure on joints, muscles, and ligaments. Muscle tension is a common issue that can contribute to discomfort and restlessness, especially for individuals experiencing insomnia or stress-related sleep disturbances. In addition to its muscle-relaxing properties, the Epsom salt solution in the float tank can contribute to overall relaxation by improving blood circulation. The warm water combined with the high mineral content helps dilate blood vessels, allowing for better blood flow and oxygenation throughout the body. Improved circulation can reduce muscle soreness, ease joint discomfort, and promote a deep sense of relaxation and well-being.
- Magnesium: The 1000 lbs of Epsom salt used in the float tank provides other benefits beyond buoyancy. Epsom salt, also known as magnesium sulfate, has long been recognized for its therapeutic properties. When dissolved in warm water, it releases magnesium and sulfate ions that can be absorbed through the skin. These ions have several effects on the body, including muscle relaxation and pain relief. Furthermore, magnesium plays a crucial role in promoting relaxation and sleep. It helps regulate neurotransmitters in the brain, such as GABA, which are involved in calming the nervous system and promoting a sense of tranquility. Magnesium also supports the production of melatonin, the hormone responsible for regulating the sleep-wake cycle. By providing a direct source of magnesium through the Epsom salt solution, float therapy can enhance the body’s natural relaxation response and support healthy sleep patterns. Magnesium can also help regulate body temperature and reduce the severity and frequency of hot flashes and night sweats. It acts as a natural muscle relaxant, helping to dilate blood vessels and improve blood flow, which can alleviate the sudden heat sensation associated with hot flashes. Additionally, magnesium’s calming effect on the nervous system can help manage the anxiety and sleep disturbances often accompanying night sweats.
- Hormonal Balance:
- Chronic stress during menopause can lead to an imbalance in cortisol, commonly known as the stress hormone. Elevated cortisol levels can disrupt sleep patterns and exacerbate symptoms of insomnia. Float therapy has been shown to help regulate cortisol production by reducing stress and inducing a state of deep relaxation. This regulation of cortisol levels not only promotes better sleep but also aids in restoring overall hormonal equilibrium.
- Serotonin and melatonin are neurotransmitters that play crucial roles in regulating mood and sleep-wake cycles. Menopause can disrupt the production and balance of these hormones, leading to mood swings and sleep disturbances. Float therapy enhances the production of serotonin, which promotes a sense of well-being and relaxation. Additionally, the sensory-deprived environment of the floatation tank encourages the secretion of melatonin, the hormone responsible for regulating sleep. By optimizing serotonin and melatonin levels, float therapy can improve mood stability and facilitate better sleep quality.
Insomnia during menopause can significantly impact a woman’s quality of life, but it is not an insurmountable challenge. By embracing holistic approaches like float therapy, women can find relief from sleep disturbances and regain their much-needed rest. Float therapy’s ability to foster relaxation, reduce stress, alleviate pain, and potentially restore hormonal balance makes it a promising option for women seeking a natural and effective solution. If you are experiencing insomnia during menopause, consider exploring float therapy as a complementary approach to support your sleep journey. Remember, a well-rested body and mind are essential for navigating the changes that come with aging gracefully.
At Bliss, we also carry Essential oils to enhance your wholistic wellness journey. The essential oils of Rose, Jasmine, Geranium, Lavender, Neroli, and Clary Sage can all soothe Menopausal symptons as well.
For clinically tested, ethically sourced Essential oils, see our shopping basket HERE.